As time passed, more needs were identified in the Lawrenceville area, including the need for Independent Living. In order to meet this demand, the United Methodist Village built and acquired a number of apartments, cottages and houses called Southern Meadows. In 1994, Southern Meadows Estates, an independent living apartment complex, was built.
In order to accommodate community needs and fulfill their mission, the United Methodist Village purchased an additional long term care facility, known as The United Methodist Village North Campus, in 2004. The North Campus is a 98 bed Skilled Nursing Facility. In 2010, a 6 bed wing was added on to North Campus.
God has blessed the United Methodist Village in so many ways, over the years. Our history begins in 1908, when H.H. Smith offered his 20 room home on 6 lots in Smithboro, for the Conference to start an “Old Folks Home”. In addition, Mr. Smith donated $3,000 to start the home. Unfortunately, in 1915, the Smithboro home burned. Everything was destroyed, but not one resident was harmed.
In 2014, The United Methodist Village was proud to announce the opening of Pathway Rehabilitation Center on its South Campus. Pathway Rehabilitation Center is a state of the art Rehab-to-Home Center featuring Private Rooms, Private Dining, a Private Kitchenette, Concierge Service, and much, much more. Today, rehab services are offered at both our North and South campuses.
Filled with crises but never a defeat, the United Methodist Village is still standing strong today. The United Methodist Village strives to meet our mission every day by “providing a place for today’s seniors to live, play and grow in an atmosphere of Christian love and care”. We are currently looking forward to and planning our 110th year anniversary in 2018.
Out of the ashes came greater inspiration and greater determination. Even after such a tragedy, they prayed that God would show them a way to continue this ministry. God answered their prayers. In 1918, a lovely home in St. Francisville was donated to the conference to be used for this purpose. In 1925, the Lawrenceville Chamber of Commerce bought and donated a 5 acre tract of land at the present location. In 1926, the Conference erected the three story main section that is now known as Holden Center. Because of the need for more space, new wings were built on each end of Holden Center in 1953. These additions provided space for 120 more residents.
Our history doesn’t end there! The need for nursing care continued to grow. In order to accommodate this need, Wesley Center was built in 1967, and Dycus Center in 1974. The United Methodist Village identified the need for Alzheimer’s care in 1990, and as a result added on a 28-bed Alzheimer Unit.